Sunday, December 23, 2012

Identity theft, bah humbug

So I woke up this morning and I had two emails from Apple iTunes Store. I immediately mark them as spam, because I don't have an Apple iTunes account. Then I got a phone call from my bank saying that my Apple iTunes account had overdrafted my bank account by almost $500. I hit that spam folder like it was made of chocolate! Turns out, somebody head borrowed my identification and opened an account in the iTunes Store. They had been running up a tab and since most iTunes purchases are just $1 I hadn't noticed anything on my bank account. They drained my Christmas savings of $1,700 yes, and then started a line of credit. Which they did not pay. This is what triggered the Apple Store to email me. When I called the 1-800 number on the email I was redirected to a fraud department, so they were way ahead of me. We three way called in my bank who let me know that this has been going on since the beginning of November. Again $1 increments I don't even pay attention to. Not that I have a lot of money mind you, but I do a lot of transactions and $1 could just be the gas station could just be Safeway, could just be a test to see if the bank account was real. ITunes can't tell me who opened the account but it has been closed and they're refunding all of the money and all of the bank charges that had accrued. My bank is changing my bank account number sending me new checks and a new debit card all free of charge. I seriously love Alaska USA. This is the second time that this is happened to me, identity theft anyway, and they have been right behind me supporting me the whole way. Props to the Apple guy for not giving me grief, and not trying to sell me anything. It's two days before Christmas and I probably would have reach through the phone and made him a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment